Bad breath, loose teeth, pain—gum disease can wreak havoc on your smile if left untreated. Understanding this condition and taking proactive measures to prevent it is crucial for maintaining optimal oral health. Get ready to empower yourself with knowledge and take control with healthy mouth tips and tricks from Nevada Dentistry & Braces in Las Vegas.
Gum Disease—Gingivitis Vs. Periodontitis
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is an inflammatory condition affecting the tissues surrounding and supporting your teeth. Gingivitis is the early stage, characterized by inflamed gums that may bleed during brushing or flossing. Periodontitis is a more advanced stage where inflammation progresses, leading to receding gums, bone loss, and potential tooth loss.
Early Warning Signs Of Gum Disease
- Red, Swollen, Or Tender Gums
- Bleeding During Brushing Or Flossing
- Persistent Bad Breath
- A Sour Taste
- Receding—Teeth Look Longer
- Changes In Bite
- Loose Teeth
What Causes Gum Disease?
Gum disease is primarily caused by the buildup of plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth. Poor oral hygiene, inadequate brushing, and flossing all contribute. Certain risk factors such as smoking, hormonal changes, and genetic predisposition can increase your likelihood of developing this dental condition.
Prevent Periodontal Problems: What You Can Do
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: Brush your teeth at least twice daily using fluoride toothpaste, floss daily to remove plaque and debris between the teeth, & rinse with an antimicrobial mouthwash.
- Schedule Regular Dental Visits: Regular dental checkups and cleanings help detect early signs of disease & allow for timely intervention.
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices: Avoid tobacco products, maintain a balanced diet, limit sugary snacks & drinks, & stay hydrated to promote health.
- Effective Plaque Control: Use proper brushing & flossing techniques to ensure thorough plaque removal, paying attention to gum line & hard-to-reach areas.
Fast & Effective Gum Disease Treatments At The Dentist
If gingivitis or periodontitis has already taken hold, various treatment options are available to restore oral health. The specific treatment approach will depend on the severity of the condition. Our dental team will work with you to create a treatment plan that is right for you, your smile goals, and your lifestyle.
- Scaling and Root Planing: Non-surgical deep cleaning to remove plaque & tartar from above & below the gum line.
- Antibiotics: Medications, either oral or topical, to control bacterial infection & inflammation.
- Oral Surgery: Advanced cases may require surgical interventions such as gum grafts, flap surgery, or bone regeneration procedures.
- Ongoing Maintenance: Regular dental visits & diligent at-home oral care to prevent disease recurrence & maintain a healthy mouth.
Get Your Healthy, Beautiful Smile Back
Schedule a consultation today with Nevada Dentistry & Braces in Las Vegas, NV, for comprehensive gum disease treatments. Our experienced team of dental professionals offers personalized treatment plans to restore your oral health and prevent further complications. Preventing and treating disease is crucial for a healthy, beautiful smile today and for years to come.