Sometimes a tooth can become unsalvageable due to extensive decay or damage. Having this tooth removed can bring you relief initially. But sooner or later, you’ll likely want one or more dental implants to restore your smile and the ability to chew food using the affected part of the mouth.
Although you may be very eager to replace your missing tooth as soon as possible, you may need time to heal first. How long after a tooth extraction you will have to wait before receiving an implant usually depends on a few different factors.
- The Condition Of Your Gums
- The Condition Of Your Jaw Bones
- Your Overall Health
What Determines How Long You Have To Wait?
Replacing lost teeth is more than a matter of looks and comfort. The sooner we fill those gaps, the sooner we can prevent deterioration of the bone underneath and the shifting of your other teeth.
Your cosmetic dentist will perform an assessment before your extraction, including x-rays, to determine how soon an implant can be placed.
- Immediate Implant Placement – If your jaw bone structure and gum tissue are healthy, dental implants can sometimes be inserted immediately after extraction. This is usually the case if you’ve lost teeth due to trauma or other injuries.
- Early Implant Placement – If you have some missing bone, compromised gum tissue, or other health conditions, you may need to wait. Between 2 and 3 months is typical, but you don’t want to wait longer than that.
- Delayed Dental Implant Placement – If you have lost a significant amount of bone structure, integrity, or have serious gum disease, you may need to wait between 3 and 6. Before an implant can be safely inserted, you’ll need to heal or have bone grafting procedures done.
Initial Dental Implant Placement
Once it’s time for your dental implant, a titanium anchor is inserted to keep your new teeth in place. After insertion, an additional wait time of 3 to 6 months will be needed before a crown can be safely attached.
Dental Implants In Las Vegas
With over 20 years of cumulative experience in oral surgery and cosmetic dental treatments, Nevada Dentistry & Braces provides top-quality dental care in and around Las Vegas. Contact us touch today to learn more and schedule your initial dental implant assessment.